One tenant would steal lightbulbs from the hallways by climbing after an office chair each time a light bulb went out in his apartment. This was very bizarre to the tenant because he got caught once or twice and was informed that changing lightbulbs do not cost extra, yet he continued stealing from the hallway.
Until one day, he went overboard and stole a lightbulb from another tenant’s flat. He got caught only because he fell and hurt himself by breaking the chair he was on and many things on the desk behind him. Perhaps that shed a light on why it’s not a good idea to steal things!
Fire Extinguisher Down the Hallway
Imagine renting your apartment to nice-looking first-year college students only to fall victim to their shenanigans because that is exactly what happened to this landlord. The landlord reported that his freshman tenant had rolled across the hallway on an office chair and sprayed a big fire extinguisher everywhere as he did so.
As you can imagine, the cost of cleaning up was not a fun price to pay for the landlord, but at least he evicted the tenant.
Rain storms and Open Windows
Another irresponsible tenant left all the windows open during a rain storm and did not clean up the water that had gotten in. When the landlord arrived, he was beyond shocked to see that every window and even part of the wooden floor had rotten and accumulated black mold.
To put the cherry on top, the tenant even asked to have their security deposit returned when they were asked to leave. The landlord was not having any of that, though, and he did not return their deposit.
This one tenant thought it would be a great idea to put an empty pan on their lit stove and get some other stuff done while it was heating up.
As you can imagine, the tenant forgot about it until the kitchen was set on fire and almost burned the entire house. Later, when the landlord rightfully asked for reimbursements, they then decided to play the victim. They claimed that the smoke and ashes had caused their asthma to aggravate, which is why they should not have to pay...
Falling Through the Roof
When this tenant and his friends climbed through their kitchen window to go to the roof, they did not realize that they would get into trouble. The landlord had previously mentioned to the tenant that the roof outside had not been built properly yet.
And also that he should not go there until the work had been finished. However, the tenant did not heed his words and still snuck there with his friends to get some fresh air. Consequently, one of the tenant's friends fell through the roof, and although he sustained no injuries, we're pretty sure the landlord's anger was through the roof!